Hope & Gloria - Sewing Inspiration for Children

Hope & Gloria - Sewing Inspiration for Children
Happy Mother's Day UK

Monday, October 29, 2012

Dachshund Draught Excluder

I live in a male dominated house. My husband and three boys account for the muddy rugby boots and ice hockey kit that is found lying around and I am sure that my passion for craft and creating generally pretty things is in some small way a compensation for the lack of pink to be found in our home.



However, I do have one female companion - our pet Dachshund Elsie. She is by no means a typical lady and is never happier than when she is covered in mud and leaves after a long walk through Windsor Great Park. I have always loved Dachsunds. There is something incredibly pleasing about their bizarre shape and Elsie never fails to raise a smile or a grimace of frustration with her stubborn personality.



Elsie, my faithful hound, is the inspiration for this project - a Dachshund Draught Excluder. The three dachshund silhouettes are made from black felt appliqued on to calico. The collars are embroidered using backstitch and I have added glamourous gold heart shaped pendants from my bead collection to the collars. The main fabric is Clarke & Clarke curtain fabric which gives the draught excluder a fun retro feel.



Now that the days are getting colder and the nights longer I have the perfect door to place it next to in the corridor near the boys bedrooms. I love the grey dot fabric so much that a complementing roman blind is going to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment