Hope & Gloria - Sewing Inspiration for Children

Hope & Gloria - Sewing Inspiration for Children
Happy Mother's Day UK

Monday, February 3, 2014

Watch The Birdy!



Last weekend I found sewing inspiration from an unexpected source - the RSPB or Royal Society for The Protection of Birds.

This is nothing new to our family - as a child my family and I were often taken to The Slimbridge Wildfowl Trust on the day after Boxing Day by my father. A keen ornithologist in the family meant that we had an annual trip to look at the thousands of wetland birds which head to our country near the Severn Estuary each year.

I have promised Theo a trip there one day - he seems to have inherited his Gramps' enthusiasm for feathered friends. He persuaded Giles and I that we need to join the RSPB when we visited the Windsor Food Festival back in November. We left the event laden down with bird focussed magazines, books and various children's activities having agreed to give our support for the next twelve months.

Theo is also a committed member of our local Cub Scout Group and each year they take part in the RSPB Birdwatch where a nationwide audit of garden birds takes place. Giles was surprised to find Theo sitting in my work room bright and early on Sunday morning counting the number of birds he saw feeding on the hanging bird feeders in our garden and adding his findings to a spreadsheet supplied to the cubs by the RSPB.

Having been in need of a new pin cushion I decided to make one in a birdhouse design in honour of the feathered friends spotted by Theo in our garden. I chose lovely spring colours - light blue, pale green with a touch of pink in the form of a heart decoration. I had seen a similar project online made from paper. I adapted this idea and I am really pleased with the results as it looks adorable in felt. It's now taken pride of place on my sewing table - a hint of Spring which hopefully won't be too far away now(!)


No comments:

Post a Comment