Hope & Gloria - Sewing Inspiration for Children

Hope & Gloria - Sewing Inspiration for Children
Happy Mother's Day UK

Thursday, July 31, 2014

My Summer Challenge

It's no secret that I am addicted to fabric. I can't actually walk out of a fabric shop without a bag in hand with at least a couple of half metres of patterned fabric inside it. I have been trying to wean myself off fabric by not visiting too many fabric shops and avoiding looking online for the past couple of months.

Now that the Summer Holidays are here and I have a little more free time I have had to stare my addiction in the face by tidying my workroom. The result being that I have discovered so much spare fabric that I am really not sure what to do with it. Cottons, polycottons, and curtain fabric in a whole fabulous spectrum of colour and pattern have been sitting in plastic storage boxes large and small in my workroom - some of them for up to two years or more.

As a parent I am often setting my children challenges - these range from academic (finish a book or progress a level in maths), to keeping your room tidy for more than one day(!) So this summer I have set myself a personal challenge. I am sure you can hazard a guess at what it is - yes, to use up some (not all as I couldn't possibly empty those boxes within four weeks), and put that fabric to good use.

There are also many patterns I have wanted to try and ideas for projects that I have wanted to make that my Summer resolution is to complete as many as possible before I have to return to full time work at the end of August.


So here is my first Summer project - This Years Beach Bag. This beach hut fabric is adorable and I love seaside themed home decor, however, I always feel that it when it comes to interiors coastal themed fabric works better if you live near the coast. It's just a personal preference and I wouldn't necessarily choose to have seaside themed accessories or fabric around the home. That doesn't stop me loving it and the fabric works perfectly for this bag with the deck chair stripe cotton lining. I can't wait to use it for bathing costumes and beach towels when we hit the beach this year!

Now, to plan the next project....

No comments:

Post a Comment